Certificates of Household Effects
Household and personal effects may enter Portugal duty-free, by the following persons, provided they do not own a fully furnished house in Portugal:
- Portuguese citizens/citizens of other European Union countries residing in the U.S. for over 12 months who are transferring their residence to Portugal;
- Foreign nationals holding residence visas for Portugal.
Conditions for Duty Free Importation
The following items may be imported duty-free, provided they were in the care and possession of applicant for over 6 months prior to their transfer to Portugal and are intended for the same use in Portugal:
- Furnishings, linens, kitchen equipment, professional tools;
- Clothing and other personal items;
- Electric or electronic items: computers/washers/dryers/refrigerators/stereos/TV .
- automobile, motorcycle, (please consult the chapter on importation of automobiles.)
How to Apply for Duty-Free Status
The documents below must be submitted so as the Consulate can issue a Baggage Certificate (Certificado de Bagagem), which must be presented to Customs in Portugal for clearance of the goods:
- Portuguese citizens/citizens of European Union countries: proof of residence in the U.S. for over 12 months (tax receipts, letters from employers, etc.); valid Citizen card or ID card,
- Citizens of non-European Union countries: proof of residence in Portugal (resident visa or resident card).
- A list, in triplicate, of articles being imported (a packer’s list is acceptable). Electric and electronic items must be identified by brand name, model & serial number.
The articles may be transferred to Portugal in one or two shipments, but must be imported in the first 12 months of residence in Portugal.
Mail: Stamped, self-addressed envelope (certified or express mail, FEDEX, UPS, etc.).
All customers who need consular attention are required to timely contact the Consulate, requesting appointment for a date and hour available. All information about procedures and documentation to be submitted will be provided, as well as expected costs.