Certificates to Import a Car
Importing a Car
- Citizens residing in the consular area, returning to Portugal, may request the issuance of a certificate to import a car, with exemption from customs duties. This certificate does not automatically grant the exemption from customs duties, but must be submitted to the Tax Authority in Portugal. For more information: http://info-aduaneiro.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt/informacao_aduaneira/Veiculos/isencao_res/Pages/isv-res-07.aspx
- The issuance of the certificate depends on the following requirements:
a) proof of residence in U. S. A. for at least 12 months.
b) ownership of the vehicle for at least 12 months before returning to Portugal;
c) ownership of a valid driving license for at least one year before the date of transfer of residence.
Documents to be submitted at the Consulate
- Certificate of Title
- Registration of the vehicle (registration)
- Valid U.S. Driving license
- Declaration, signed by the applicant, with the date of final return to Portugal, and indicating the address in Portugal to which his/her residence will be transferred.
Mail: Stamped, self-addressed envelope (certified or express mail, FEDEX, UPS, etc.
Disposal of the vehicle
Without prejudice to the admissibility of the driving by the spouse or children of the beneficiary, the vehicles imported free of duty may only be transferred, donated, transferred or encumbered 12 months after the final importation.
Benefit from new exemption
Exemption shall be granted in respect to a motor vehicle, per beneficiary, and may be awarded only once every 10 years.
All customers who need consular attention are required to timely contact the Consulate, requesting appointment for a date and hour available. All information about procedures and documentation to be submitted will be provided, as well as expected costs.