Importation of Household Effects
Household and personal effects may be imported into Portugal duty free, by the following persons, provided they do not own a fully furnished house in Portugal:
- Portuguese citizens/citizens of other European Union countries residing in the U.S. for over 12 months who are transferring their residency to Portugal;
- Foreign nationals holding residency visas for Portugal.
Conditions for Duty Free Importation
The following items may be imported duty free, provided they were in the use and possession of applicant for over 1 year prior to their transfer to Portugal (excluding clothes and personal items) and are intended for the same use in Portugal:
- Furnishings, linens, kitchen equipment, professional tools;
- Clothing and other personal items;
- Electric or electronic items:
computers/washers/dryers/refrigerators/stereos/TV (1 item of each).
Portuguese citizens may also import duty free, under certain conditions: an automobile, a motorcycle or a boat (please consult the chapter on importation of automobiles.)
How to Apply for Duty Free Status
The documents below must be submitted in order for the Consulate to issue a Baggage and a Residency Certificate (Certificado de Bagagem e Certificado de Residência), which must be presented to Customs in Portugal for clearance of the goods:
- Portuguese citizens/citizens of European Union countries: proof of residency in the U.S. for over 12 months (tax receipts, letters from employers, etc.);
- Citizens of non-European Union countries: proof of residency in Portugal (residency visa or residency card).
- A list, in triplicate, of articles being imported (a packer’s list is acceptable). Electric and electronic items must be identified by brand name, model & serial number (see attached example.)
- Date of arrival and departure from the USA.
The articles may be transferred to Portugal in one or two shipments, but must be imported in the first 12 months of residency in Portugal.
USD$ 62.01 (includes issuance of Baggage and Residency Certificates).
Payable by certified check, money order or cash, personal checks are not accepted.
It is mandatory to send together with the documents:
- a pre-paid insured mail envelope to send the documents to your permanent address. The Consulate is not responsible for articles lost in transit.
- Filled out and signed form: DEC.BAG. form
Fees subject to change due to variations in the exchange rate Euro/Dollar.
NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT INSERT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION INTO THIS DOCUMENT – THE BAGGAGE LIST SHOULD NOT CONTAIN THE EMBASSY´S CONTACTS OR INFORMATION
EXAMPLE OF THE LIST TO BE SUBMITTED FOR BAGGAGE CERTIFICATE
A list according to the example below, must be submitted to the Consulate, in triplicate (a list issued by a packing company is acceptable, even if in English), and must contain, either at the end or on a separate piece of paper, the following statement:
“I hereby declare that the above items have been in my use and possession for over one year” (signature and date).
LIST OF HOUSEHOLD AND PERSONAL EFFECTS OF ........
Box No. 1 to 5 Clothing
Boxes Nos. 6 Shoes
Box No. 7 Kitchen equipment
Boxes Nos.8 to 10 Books
Box No.11 Toys
1 Television (brand), Model ...., Serial No.
1 Computer (brand), Model ...., Serial No.
It is not necessary to list items individually, except in the case of pieces of furniture, computers, or appliances. List only the general contents of each box.