Residence visas, student visas, work visas and temporary stay visas are valid only for Portugal and not for other European Union countries.
Enables the applicant to enter Portugal in order to request a residence permit; this visa is valid for a period of four months with two entries.
Allows the applicant to enter Portugal for the purpose of study, scientific investigation
Allows the bearer to enter Portugal to carry on professional activities for a maximum period of three years.
Temporary stay visas
Allows the holder to enter Portugal for medical treatment in Health Services, apprenticeships in educational establishments, firms, or public departments. This visa can also be issued in exceptional cases.
- Application form signed in the presence of a Consular Officer or in a notary public if you reside more than 200 miles way from the Embassy and are sending the documentation by mail
- Valid passport
- One (1) recent colour photo, passport size
- FBI record check
- Declaration outlining the reasons for wanting to obtain residence in Portugal (for residence visas only)
- Medical insurance or declaration that applicant will acquire it in Portugal within 90 days after arrival
- Proof that applicant has guaranteed housing in Portugal
- Proof of means of support while in Portugal (i.e., financial statement, pension, etc.)
- Portuguese bank account statement (if applicable)
- Proof of ownership of property in Portugal (if applicable)
- Submission of a work contract approved by the Portuguese Ministry of Labor (for work visas only)
- Submission of certificate of enrollment in a University or Educational Institution in Portugal (for study visas only)
Children under 16 are exempt from presenting FBI record checks.
Visa application form can be downloaded at: http://www.secomunidades.pt
Mail: Stamped, self-addressed envelope (certified or express mail, FEDEX, UPS, etc.). If the passport is to be mailed to you once the visa is ready.
All customers who need consular attention are required to timely contact the Consulate, requesting appointment for a date and hour available. All information about procedures and documentation to be submitted will be provided, as well as expected costs.