Nationality through Parents
ACQUISITION OF PORTUGUESE NATIONALITY BY CHILDREN OF PORTUGUESE CITIZENS
Children born abroad to Portuguese parents (one or both) are entitled to Portuguese nationality.
Applications for nationality must be submitted to the nearest Portuguese Consulate, to be processed and forwarded to the Conservatória dos Registos Centrais in Lisbon, for registration. Portuguese documents cannot be issued until registration is completed by the Conservatória, a process which may take up to six months to be confirmed by the Registrar in Lisbon.
REGISTRATION OF CHILDREN FROM BIRTH TO 14 YEARS OF AGE
Both parents (even if one is not a Portuguese national) must appear in person at the Consulate to apply for nationality on behalf of their children, and to sign the birth registration. The parent(s) holding Portuguese nationality must be registered at the Consulate and if married, the marriage needs to be registered in Portugal before applying for the child’s Portuguese nationality. The following documents must be presented:
- Child’s birth certificate (long form containing all pertaining information about the birth);
- Portuguese passport and identification card of Portuguese parent(s);
- Birth Certificate of non-Portuguese parent (legalized by apostille by the Government of the country of birth).
- All non-Portuguese documents must be translated into Portuguese, having the translation to be legalized by apostille.
- Registrations after 14 years of age must include birth certificate translation and legalization fee ($22.00) and a notarized copy of passport.
REGISTRATION OF APPLICANTS 18 AND OVER
Applicants must appear in person at the nearest Portuguese Consulate, with the following documents:
- Certified copy of the long form of his/her birth certificate, legalized by Appostille or by the Consulate of Portugal if born outside of the US, as per attached instructions;
- Identification documents with photo/signature such as passport, I.D. cards, etc.);
- Marriage certificate (if applicable);
- For fees please visit the following link.
The following documents pertaining to the Portuguese parent(s) must also be submitted:
- Parents´ marriage must be endorsed on the birth certificate. If married abroad and marriage has not yet been registered in Portugal, registration must be done by the Consulate before the child may apply for nationality.
- If parents were not married at the time of applicant’s birth, parents must sign a statement for confirming paternity while the applicant was still a minor.
- Birth certificate of both parents (parent born outside USA, the birth certificate must be authenticated by Apostille or Consulate of Portugal in the respective country).
- Please download and fill out the application form on the following link:
Forms (signed in the presence of a Consular officer or a Notary Public):
+ 18 anos link.
- 18 anos link.
175 Euros payable through https://crcpagamentos.irn.mj.pt/pagvisamc.aspx?productid=NAC1C. Receipt of payment will have to be submitted with the remaining documents. This payment is due if you send the request and all documents directly to the Civil Registry Office (Conservatória dos Registos Centrais).
Para instruções em português veja o seguinte documento: Nacionalidade por pais em Português