Through Grand Parents
The Portuguese Government grants naturalization to those persons born abroad with, at least, an ancestor on the 2nd degree of the succession line of the Portuguese citizenship who has not lost such citizenship.
How to do it/ necessary documents:
- Filled out application (link)
- The signature must be authenticated by a notary public and its certification authenticated by Apostille.
- Birth Certificate of the applicant authenticated by Apostille and officially translated. This certificate must give evidence that the parents have recognized the applicant whilst he was underage.
- Birth Certificate of the Portuguese grandparent.
- Birth Certificate of the parent who is the child of the Portuguese grandparent. This certificate must give evidence that the grandparents have recognized the parent of the applicant whilst he was underage.
- For fees please see the following link.
- Document proving that the applicant has plenty knowledge of the Portuguese idiom. The evidence of knowledge of Portuguese can be given by presenting the following documents:
- a) Diploma issued by a Portuguese public or private school, under the terms of the Portuguese law.
- b) Certificate of approval in exam carried out by any of the institutions mentioned in item (a).
- c) Certificate of approval in exam issued by the Portuguese Consulates when the applicant was still living abroad. For this case, you can certify your proficiency in Portuguese Language registering in the exam provided by the Center of Evaluation of Portuguese Language (CAPLE), in order to receive the Initial of Portuguese as a Foreign Language (CIPLE). More info regarding the exam: http://caple.letras.ulisboa.pt/pages/view/11. There are many centers in the USA where you can take the exam: Washington DC, Boston, Newark, Berkeley (San Francisco). The exams take place in May and November.
- d) Certificate of proficiency in Portuguese as foreign language issued by one of the accredited Portuguese evaluation centres.
In case of someone who has studied in a public or private school in any of the Portuguese-speaking countries, the evidence of knowledge of the Portuguese idiom may be given through Diploma issued by these teaching institutions
If the applicant is illiterate, the evidence of the knowledge of Portuguese must be given according to his capability to show that he knows the idiom.
- Criminal Clearance issued by the country where the applicant was born, from where he holds his citizenship and of all countries he has ever lived after turning 16 years old, with the respective translation if not issued in Portuguese. The applicant is exempt of presenting the Portuguese Criminal Clearance, since it may be obtained compulsorily by the Portuguese government
- Power of Attorney if the application is to be submitted by a lawyer or any other
All documents must be authenticated by apostille and non-Portuguese documents translated into Portuguese.
Method of payment (mandatory): Portuguese bank checks, in Euros, of an entity with representation in Portugal, issued at the order of the Instituto dos Registos e do Notariado, I.P.
Send all documentation to:
Conservatória dos Registos Centrais
Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, 200
Fees subject to change due to variations in the exchange rate Euro/Dollar
Para instruções em português veja o seguinte documento: Nacionalidade por Avós
All customers who need consular attention are required to timely contact the Consulate, requesting appointment for a date and hour available. All information about procedures and documentation to be submitted will be provided, as well as expected costs.