Through Grand Parents
The Portuguese Government shall grant the naturalization, to those persons born abroad with, at least, an ancestor on the 2nd degree of the accessory line of the Portuguese citizenship who has not lost such citizenship.
1- Application addressed to the Minister of Justice containing the following elements:
- Full name, date of birth, marital status, place of birth, citizenship, name of parents, profession, current address and indication of the countries he has lived previously;
- Full name and address of the legal representatives or attorneys, if the applicant is legally unfit;
- Number, date and issuing authority of the Residence Permit, passport or equivalent identification document, as much of the legal representatives or attorney if it is the case.
- The authenticated signature of the applicant. The authentication is exempt if the applicant signs the application in front of a worker of the public department where he is going to submit it. When the attorney is a lawyer or a solicitor, it is only necessary to indicate his professional registration number in order to confirm his signature.
2-Birth Certificate of the applicant. This certificate must prove that the parents have recognized the applicant while he was underage.
3-Birth Certificate of the Portuguese grandparent.
4-Birth Certificate of the parent who is the child of the Portuguese grandparent. This certificate must prove that the grandparents have recognised the parent of the applicant while he was underage.
5-Document proving that the applicant has good knowledge of the Portuguese idiom. The evidence of knowledge of Portuguese can be given by presenting the following documents:
- Diploma issued by a Portuguese public or private school, under the terms of the Portuguese law
- Certificate of approval in exam carried out by any the institutions mentioned at previous item
- Certificate of approval in exam issued by the Portuguese Consulates when the applicant was still living abroad.
- Certificate of proficiency in Portuguese as foreign language issued by one of the accredited Portuguese evaluation centers.
- In case of someone who has studied in a public or private school in any of the Portuguese-speaking countries, the evidence of knowledge of the Portuguese idiom may be given through Diploma issued by these teaching institutions
- If the applicant is illiterate, the evidence of the knowledge of Portuguese must be given according to his capability to show that he knows the idiom.
6-Criminal Clearance issued by the country where the applicant was born, from where he holds his citizenship and of all countries he has ever lived after turning 16 years old, with the respective translation if not issued in Portuguese. The applicant is exempt of presenting the Portuguese Criminal Clearance, since it may be obtained compulsorily by the Portuguese government
7-Power of Attorney if the application is to be submitted by a lawyer or any other person.
In some special case, the Minister of Justice may exempt the applicant to provide any of the documents that shall instruct the application, as long as there are no doubts concerning requirements needed as proof.
All customers who need consular attention are required to timely contact the Consulate, requesting appointment for a date and hour available. All information about procedures and documentation to be submitted will be provided, as well as expected costs.