- ACQUISITION OF PORTUGUESE NATIONALITY BY MARRIAGE TO A PORTUGUESE CITIZEN
Who can request:
- A foreign national married to a Portuguese citizen for longer than 3 years
- The marriage must be registered in the Portuguese system – to register the marriage of the Portuguese citizen please check the instructions on the “Marriages Registration” on the website
- A foreign national who, at the time of the declaration, lives in a de facto union with a Portuguese citizen for more than three years, after judicial recognition of the status by a civil court.
How to apply:
- Please send all the (complete) required documents to Conservatória dos Registos Centrais.
- The declaration must be given while the marriage is valid, that is, as long as the couple remains married. The nationality, after acquired by marriage, is valid even if the matrimony is later dissolved.
- Filled out form: http://www.irn.mj.pt/IRN/sections/irn/a_registral/registos-centrais/docs-da-nacionalidade/docs-comuns/mod-pag-impressos1/downloadFile/attachedFile_1_f0/Artigo_3_cheque.pdf?nocache=1329228426.9
- Certified copy of the applicant’s Birth Certificate, legalized by Apostille or by the Portuguese Consulate with jurisdiction over the area of birth;
- Complete Narrative Birth Certificate of the Portuguese spouse, issued within the last 6 months, containing the due integration of the marriage;
- Copy of spouse’s Portuguese passport and Identification card;
- Criminal Record Certificate issued by the authorities of the country of birth and countries where the applicant has resided after completing 16 years of age, with the respective translation if not issued in Portuguese. (The applicant is exempt of presenting the Portuguese Criminal Clearance, since it may be obtained compulsorily by the Portuguese government, yet we advise it previous presentation by the applicant in order to gain time);
- FBI Nationwide Criminal Record - authenticated by Apostille: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks;
- Proof that the applicant was never employed as a foreign Civil Servant, nor served foreign armed forces, unless required by local law;
- Proof of knowledge of the Portuguese language (handwritten letter explaining the motive for the nationality request).
The evidence of knowledge of Portuguese can be given by presenting the following documents:
- Diploma issued by a Portuguese public or private school, under the terms of the Portuguese law.
- Certificate of approval in exam carried out by any the institutions mentioned at item a.
- Certificate of approval in exam issued by the Portuguese Consulate when the applicant was still living abroad.
- Certificate of proficiency in Portuguese as foreign language issued by one of the accredited Portuguese evaluation centres.
In case of someone who has studied in a public or private school in any of the Portuguese-speaking countries, the evidence of knowledge of the Portuguese idiom may be given through Diploma issued by these teaching institutions
- PROOF OF EFFECTIVE CONNECTION TO THE PORTUGUESE COMMUNITY
The applicant must also establish an effective connection to the Portuguese Community beyond family bonds, by presenting concrete evidence, witnesses or others; of useful activities benefiting the community or the Portuguese culture and ownership of property in the country.
Examples of Links to the Portuguese community:
- Visits to Portugal (photos)
- Receipts from hotels, restaurants, medical bills, airlines
- Portuguese clubs or Associations in US
All documents must be authenticated by Apostille and non-Portuguese documents translated into Portuguese.
Fees in Euros:
Send complete documents to:
Conservatória dos Registos Centrais
Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, 200
- For further information refer to irn.mj.pt
Fees subject to change due to variations in the exchange rate Euro/Dollar
All customers who need consular attention are required to timely contact the Consulate, requesting appointment for a date and hour available. All information about procedures and documentation to be submitted will be provided, as well as expected costs.