SCHENGEN VISAS If you are applying for or have questions about a Schengen Visa, please go to http://www.vfsglobal.com/Portugal/USA/
Visa applications should be made at least one month before the intended travel dates. The Embassy of Portugal is not responsible for not being able to accommodate last-minute applications, nor is responsible for delays in the issuance of visas.
Os pedidos de visto devem ser efetuados pelo menos um mês antes da data prevista da viagem. A Embaixada de Portugal não é responsável por não conseguir agendar pedidos urgentes, nem por atrasos na emissão de vistos.
NO VISA IS NECESSARY if you are a U.S. citizen and will be traveling to Portugal for up to 90 days. However, you will need a valid U.S. passport for at least 6 months from the date of planned return or other travel document recognized by member States of the Schengen Agreement.
Residence visas, student visas, work visas and temporary stay visas are valid only for Portugal (not the European Union).
Enables the applicant to enter Portugal in order to request a residence permit; this visa is valid for a period of four months with two entries.
Allows the applicant to enter Portugal for the purpose of study, scientific investigation
Allows the bearer to enter Portugal to carry on professional activities for a maximum period of three years.
Temporary stay visas
Allows the holder to enter Portugal for medical treatment in Health Services, apprenticeships in educational establishments, firms, or public departments. This visa can also be issued in exceptional cases.
- Application form signed in the presence of a Consular Officer
- Valid passport
- One (1) recent colour photo, passport size
- FBI record check
- Declaration outlining the reasons for wanting to obtain residence in Portugal (for residence visas only)
- Medical insurance or declaration that applicant will acquire it in Portugal within 90 days after arrival
- Proof that applicant has guaranteed housing in Portugal
- Proof of means of support while in Portugal (i.e., financial statement, pension, etc.)
- Portuguese bank account statement (if applicable)
- Proof of ownership of property in Portugal (if applicable)
- Submission of a work contract approved by the Portuguese Ministry of Labor (for work visas only)
- Submission of certificate of enrollment in a University or Educational Institution in Portugal (for study visas only)
Children under 16 are exempt from presenting FBI record checks.
Visa application form can be downloaded at: http://www.secomunidades.pt
Mail: Stamped, self-addressed envelope (certified or express mail, FEDEX, UPS, etc.). If the passport is to be mailed to you once the visa is ready.
All customers who need consular attention are required to timely contact the Consulate, requesting appointment for a date and hour available. All information about procedures and documentation to be submitted will be provided, as well as expected costs.